Sunday, July 7, 2013

Paradise Island


For our vacation day on Saturday, we headed to the beautiful Paradise Island.  I went scuba diving for the first time! I figured I should take the opportunity while it presented itself.  The tank and weight belt were heavy so it was a workout just to walk away from the shore into deeper water.   We didn't go too far out from the shore, only about 20-25 feet, but it was more than enough to see majestic When we first went underwater I was letting negative thoughts creep into my head: what if my tank malfunctions, what if I touch something poisonous, what if I can't float back up to shore...  It took me a while to mentally comprehend and be comfortable with breathing underwater.  However after a few minutes I just calmed down and was able to appreciate God's creativity through the marine life that he created.  I didn't take me long to find Nemo as there were a few coral reefs that housed the clown fish.  They weave in and out of the reefs with ease.  I also saw sea urchins, blue starfish, got to feed the fish, and saw many more beautiful fish that I didn't know the name of.  It was an amazing experience and it only cost 1200 pesos (about $30) for 30 minutes of instruction and 30 minutes of diving.  It makes it even more valuable because the island i'm going to for medical school, Dominica, is one of the best destinations for scuba diving.

In addition, we visited the small zoo.  Which housed various majestic birds, deer, and a python.  The python wasn't moving so we assumed it had just got done eating.  Finally, we watched a small carnival show which included four performers and one of the most flexible little girl I've ever seen.  They were entertaining and talented.


                                  


No comments:

Post a Comment