Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Medical Mission!


Setting up and helping operate the medical clinic was amazing.   I couldn't help but smile.  We began at 8.  I was helping the "pharmacy" with separating vitamins from the big bottles into small baggies, with labels and a week's worth of vitamins.  We were giving out adult and children's multivitamins and vitamin C.  I also got to learn a few phrases in Tagalog as I was talking to the Filipinos working beside me.  The funnest part was when I got to take the vital signs of the patients.  I took their temperature, blood pressur, and pulse.  They then proceeded to ask me if their blood pressur was okay, so I got a chance to play doctor.  I was informing the patients with high blood pressure to limit their sodium intake, do moderate exercise, and limit their fat intake.  The physicians and nurses from the U.S. and Philippines collaborated to see the patients, over 300 throughout the day!  There was one bad case of shingles, but other than that the cases were fairly mild.  There was alot of cold and cough medication given out as respiratory tract infection is very common in the Philippines.  There were also antibiotics and prescription meds available.   The patients were all very friendly.  I love the Philippines.  I am so grateful to God for this opportunity.




No comments:

Post a Comment