Sunday, August 11, 2013

Last Post

Here's a link to a video documenting our experiences:
http://vimeo.com/emcaz/httpvimeocomembraceandreach2013


I had a wonderful time in the Philippines.  I came there planning on touching the lives of the people in the Philippines,  however my life was the one that got touched.  I came in not knowing what to expect, but I believe that I helped to improve the lives of others.  It gives me a great appreciation for those who dedicate their life to traveling as a missionary to spread the gospel.  It was tiring just in those 2 weeks, and I had pleasure of meeting a Discipleship Training Team that was taught by one of the leaders of our Embrace and Reach team.  They had to do months of training, then they were able to go to a designated country.  One of them was a physician from Holland, she finished medical school and practiced for a while until God called her to a life of missionary service.  She and her husband bought along their young children for missionary service.  I could only image how difficult it must be to raise two young children in a foreign country while adapting to a new way of life while abandoning their jobs.

The residents of the Philippines were extremely hospitable and accommodating of us.  I've never been called sir that much in my life.  The native Filipinos who were part of our team were extremely kind and polite.  The members of assisting churches in the Philippines really lived to glorify God and make His name great.  Iris was attending bible college and planned on spreading the gospel with the people in the indigenous Filipinos in the mountains.  Many others were attending the bible college unsure of what they would do in the future, but letting God guide their paths.  As a careful planner, their comfort in uncertainty, made me think about how often I attempt to plan out my life without considering the plans that God has for me.  It was inspiring to see such passionate worship and service to the Lord, particularly among the youth.  They were so filled with love and joy.  I am grateful that I was able to meet some amazing people, who I hope to keep in contact with and build a quality friendship.

 They were generally pretty selfless.  At one of the medical clinics, I had forgot that I left an open bag of pistachios in my backpack.  The fire ants gladly reminded me as I returned to find a trail from my backpack to an ant colony.  I put on gloves as I frantically dumped out my backpack trying to figure out what the ants were after.  I was clearing out my backpack and found the ants in a small pocket.  This small girl, probably around 5 or 6, reached in and cleared out the ants from my backpack with her bare hands, making me look like a punk.  Then some other children also came over to help me clear out the ants.  I gladly bought them ice cream, then I got mobbed by the other children at the clinic.

It was great meeting and forming relationships with other volunteers from the U.S. on the mission trip.  I spent a lot of time with the basketball players, and I look forward to hearing about some of them playing professional international ball someday.

By the end of the trip I was pretty tired, partly because I had got sick.  I was grateful that I had gotten sick during the last day, after I had finished participating in the scheduled activities.  The 14 hr. plane ride wasn't very fun, especially as I couldn't sleep.  However, it gave me time to reflect and be grateful of the experience.

When I got home I just laid out on my bed and thought about how huge my room is.  It felt good to just go into the kitchen and be able to get a small snack at my leisure.  There is so much I take for granted, and traveling to a developing country has really opened my eyes to that.  I can't wait to go back as a physician and be able to do check-ups and prescribe medications myself.

Thank you for all those who supported me and made this trip possible.  May God bless you all.

Ingat ka!

No comments:

Post a Comment